Wake up to a nutrient packed berry smoothie! See notes for ideas on how to make this a caffeinated smoothie or for ways to add protein! As with any smoothie, I recommend you drink this smoothie slow over 1 hour so your body has time to process the carbs.
- 1/2 cup Frozen whole strawberries (1/4 cup sliced)
- 1/2 cup Frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup peaches OR bananas for sweetness
- 3/4 cup 100% Juice (Orange or other)
- 1/4 cup water (optional for consistency)
- If using an individual blender, add ingredients from hardest fruit to softest fruit (strawberries, peaches, spinach, bananas, OJ) to assure you do not over flow! Otherwise just add all ingredients to blender. Then blend for 10-20 seconds and enjoy! If thick add water and blend again.
This Smoothie Contains: 195 calories, 47 grams of carbs, 0 grams of fat, 3 grams of protein 7 grams of fiber These are some of the best carbs which include fiber and fructose sugars! 42 grams is still much less than the 55% RDI for carbs in your diet! Protein Additions: If you would like more protein and are focusing on plant based foods, add 3 tbsp of flaxseeds which equates to about 5.7 grams of protein. Or add hemp, soy, or Orgain brand protein powders for an added 15-25 grams of protein. I do recommend adding a protein powder as this can help bump you into the optimal ranges which is important even if you are a meat eater. OR Vegetarians can consider whey or egg proteins as well to increase protein intakes. Caffeine Additions: My favorite caffeine additions include Yogi Positive Energy Herbal Tea or Green Tea. Before blending you will steep 1 tea bag in 4 ounces of HOT water, after 3-5 minutes add 2 ounces of orange juice to tea then poor into smoothie cup.