Recipe Highlight: Cocoa Powder
Mmmm cocoa powder.
Cocoa powder is found in many of our favorite recipes, just like this one.
Chocolate bars, drinks, muffins, cupcakes, and so much more. But did you know cocoa powder has health benefits? Unbiased research studies have found the following health benefits when cocoa powder is consumed:
- Anti-inflammatory effects: As you may have heard before, inflammation seems to predispose us to chronic disease, so having food and spices that combat this process is very important.
- Improved vessel function: Research studies have found that vascular function improved when just 1 tsp of cocoa powder was consumed. The vessels increase in diameter and improve blood flow. This was only seen in those who consume the cocoa powder daily.
- Improved glucose tolerance
- Improved breakdown of cholesterol
So as you see, cocoa has an array of benefits. Although the powder loses some of it’s antioxidants in baking, it is still a great alternative to unhealthy chocolate additions. Consider incorporating it into your own recipes, you can even incorporate it into savory meals with plant based meats or black beans!
The best way to consume cocoa powder for antioxidant power, include: in smoothies, in non-dairy milk, in homemade puddings, or sprinkled on fruits.
This recipe will help you incorporate cocoa into your baked goods. Share this recipe with friends and family! Tag us on Instagram and Facebook! Show us your own creation! #thestrugglingvegetarian
- Any waffle maker
- Mixing bowls
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp agave (May sub 4 tbsp any sugar)
- 1.25 cup Almond milk or oat milk (Any plant based milk will be fine)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (May sub 1/4 cup earth balance butter)
- 1/2 cup non dairy chocolate chips (Optional)
Egg replacement Mix and Add at the end
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mix all dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, cocoa, and salt)
- In a 2nd bowl mix milk, oil, and agave.
- Add vinegar and baking soda mixture to wet ingredients. Let sit for 30 seconds then mix again.
- Slowly pour and mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Lumpy batter will create a fluffy waffle. Mix for about 20-30 seconds. Try not to over mix. (Mix should not stick to the whisk, it should be smooth like pancake batter. If thicker than usual feel free to add 1 tbsp of water until consistency improves)
- At this point mix in 1/2 cup non dairy chocolate chips.
- Now cook per manufacturers instructions.
- Top with powdered sugar and agave syrup before serving. Enjoy!