Plant Based Chili
Quick and nutritious chili!
- 1.5 cup Beyond Beefy Crumbles (Optional substitute black beans)
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance Butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh jalapeno
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup water
- 1/2-1 cup garbanzo beans (blended)
- 1 tbsp Agave Recommended (Optional)
- 1 tbsp plant based mozzarella (Optional)
- 1 tbsp plant based sour cream (Optional)
- 1 stalk green onion (Optional)
- Cook beyond crumbles on medium heat, add 1 tbsp butter.
- Once the meat has browned add garlic, onion, zucchini, jalapeno, and sautee on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, paprika, chili flakes, chili powder, cumin, and stir into the meat and vegetables. Stir until the veggies are covered in sauce. Allowing the tomato paste to cook for atleast 1-2 minutes will allow some caramelization to occur, enhancing flavor.
- Add beans and tomatoes and stir. Add water.
- While chili cooks on medium heat. Blend garbanzo beans with chili juices, then add to chili and mix thoroughly. This will thicken the chili and enhance nutrients in the sauce.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Then turn off heat and allow to cool.
- Optional: Add 1 tbsp of agave for mild sweetness.
- Optional: Garnish with Violife cheese, Tofutti Sour Cream, and/or green onion
Nutrition Facts for this meal are: Calories 474, Fat 10.5, Sat Fat 4.6, Sodium 570mg, Carbs 65.9g, Fiber 18.8 g, Protein 28g, Ca 17%, Iron 42.8%, Potassium 854 mg, Vitamin A 19.3%, Vitamin C 14.4% (This includes agave and cheese) As you can see this is a protein packed meal. A perfect balance of carbs and protein for lunch or dinner.