Simple & Spicy Lentil Soup
This recipe is great for bulk prepping for the week! The recipe lasts all week and provides a large amount of fiber and protein. This is one of my favorite recipes! Feel free to adjust as needed.
- Large pot
- 1 cup lentils (any color, green used in this recipe)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed/large chopped onions
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic (substitute 1 tsp powdered garlic)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli (may substitute fresh, but fresh is less stable)
- 1 whole carrot Julienne cut
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp hot sauce of choice (or 1/2 tsp vinegar and 1 tbsp chili flakes) (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp avocado oil (Adding avocado oil adds a savory taste and balances macronutrients in this nutritious soup)
- 1 can kidney beans (Optional, but highly recommended)
- Add lentils and carrots to 4 cups of water in large pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Bring to a boil, add tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili powder, sea salt, hot sauce, and avocado oil. This is where you would add optional kidney beans. Stir well.
- Continue boiling, add 2 cups of frozen or fresh broccoli (frozen is more stable). Stir and allow boiling to resume.
- Turn off heat and allow the soup to sit and marinate for 10 minutes. Serve and add more hot sauce as needed. Enjoy!
Consider adding a side: Because this is a low calorie meal, consider adding whole wheat toast, whole wheat crackers, or a side of any fruit to make this a full meal for lunch or dinner.