Simple & Spicy Lentil Soup
This recipe is great for bulk prepping for the week! The recipe lasts all week and provides a large amount of fiber and protein. This is one of my favorite recipes! Feel free to adjust as needed.
- 1 cup lentils (any color, green used in this recipe)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed/large chopped onions
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic (substitute 1 tsp powdered garlic)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli (may substitute fresh, but fresh is less stable)
- 1 whole carrot Julienne cut
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp hot sauce of choice (or 1/2 tsp vinegar and 1 tbsp chili flakes) (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp avocado oil (Adding avocado oil adds a savory taste and balances macronutrients in this nutritious soup)
- 1 can kidney beans (Optional, but highly recommended)
Add lentils and carrots to 4 cups of water in large pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
Bring to a boil, add tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili powder, sea salt, hot sauce, and avocado oil. This is where you would add optional kidney beans. Stir well.
Continue boiling, add 2 cups of frozen or fresh broccoli (frozen is more stable). Stir and allow boiling to resume.
Turn off heat and allow the soup to sit and marinate for 10 minutes. Serve and add more hot sauce as needed. Enjoy!
Consider adding a side: Because this is a low calorie meal, consider adding whole wheat toast, whole wheat crackers, or a side of any fruit to make this a full meal for lunch or dinner.